Tuesday, 30 June 2015

JUNE READING WRAP-UP

Hi everyone,

June is over (which is totally crazy! Where did all the time go?), which means it's time for me to tell you about all the books I read in the past month! I read twelve books with a total of 4184 pages in June, mostly thanks to the #TBRtakedown and #rainbowthon readathons that I took part in. 

1. THE BONE SEASON - SAMANTHA SHANNON
PUBLISHER: Bloomsbury
PAGE COUNT: 452
GOODREADS: x
MY THOUGHTS: The bone season took me a really long time to get into, but when I did I ended up really enjoying it. The world is very complex and interesting, and even though it was definitely slow paced I am REALLY excited to carry on with this series.
RATING: 4/5 

2. GREGOR AND THE MARKS OF SECRET - SUZANNE COLLINS
PUBLISHER: Scholastic
PAGE COUNT: 264
GOODREADS: x
MY THOUGHTS: This book was so much fun! Like all the previous novels in the series, it's a really entertaining but surprisingly dark middle grade adventure and I really enjoyed reading it.
RATING: 4/5

3. FINDING AUDREY - SOPHIE KINSELLA
PUBLISHER: Doubleday
PAGE COUNT: 288
GOODREADS: x
MY THOUGHTS: This was my first Sophie Kinsella, and it did not disappoint! I thought she did a good job at mixing the serious topic of anxiety with laugh out loud humor, and I really liked Audrey as a main character.
FULL REVIEW: x 
RATING: 4.25/5

4. AN ABSENCE OF LIGHT - MERADETH HOUSTON
PUBLISHER: Evernight teen
PAGE COUNT: 250
GOODREADS: x
MY THOUGHTS: An absence of light was a pleasant surprise for me, and although I didn't have high expectations going in I'm really glad I got to be part of the blog tour. It's dark and original, and the main character is a total badass. 
FULL REVIEW: x
RATING: 4/5

5,6+7. THE SELECTION TRILOGY - KIERA CASS
PUBLISHER: HarperCollins
PAGE COUNT: 336, 336, 323
GOODREADS: x
MY THOUGHTS: The selection is definitely a guilty pleasure series for me. It's not particularly well written and the world building is weak, but it is a really fun and entertaining trilogy. I read all three books in two days, so I think that tells you all I need to know!
FULL REVIEW: x
RATING: 3/5

8. ONE - SARAH CROSSAN
PUBLISHER: Bloomsbury
PAGE COUNT: 448
GOODREADS: x
MY THOUGHTS: This is probably the most beautiful book I've read all year. The writing is absolutely stunning, and the story (about conjoined twins!) is fascinating. It's not out until August in the UK but I definitely recommend you pick it up when it's released. Just don't forget the tissues!
FULL REVIEW: x
RATING: 4.75/5

9. PERCY JACKSON AND THE GREEK GODS - RICK RIORDAN
PUBLISHER: Puffin
PAGE COUNT: 402
GOODREADS: x
MY THOUGHTS: This is book is kind of ridiculous (seriously, the Greek Gods are so messed up) but I just had so much fun reading it! I love reading from Percy's POV so it was really entertaining to hear some classic Greek myths from his perspective.
RATING: 4/5

10. I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN - JANDY NELSON
PUBLISHER: Walker books
PAGE COUNT: 429
GOODREADS: x
MY THOUGHTS: Okay...I'm not sure what to say about this book. There were parts of it that completely blew me away and parts that I really didn't enjoy, and unlike every other person in the world I wasn't always a huge fan of the writing style. I understand why so many people adore this book, it's just a shame I'm not one of them. I'm not saying its bad, I actually liked it overall! I'm just saying...I really need to write a full review.
RATING: 3.75/5

11. EMMY & OLIVER - ROBIN BENWAY
PUBLISHER: Simon and Schuster
PAGE COUNT: 352
GOODREADS: x
MY THOUGHTS: I really, really enjoyed this book. It's romantic and angsty, and I think it'd make a really great summer contemporary read. I definitely recommend you pick it up when it's released in the UK on July 16th (I think it's already out in America, so go forth and read!
FULL REVIEW: x
RATING: 4/5

12: REMIX - NON PRATT
PUBLISHER: Simon and Schuster
PAGE COUNT: 304
GOODREADS: x
MY THOUGHTS: I loved the friendship in this book, I thought it was really realistic and nice to read about. More female friendships in YA, please! I also loved the music festival setting, and although I thought it could be a little over dramatic and unrealistic at times I enjoyed the plot overall. Also, I read it whilst watching Glastonbury on TV which totally added to the experience.
RATING: 4/5

Those are all the books I read in June! Thank you for reading, and have a fabulous July.

-MIA

No comments:

Post a Comment